Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 7 pt 2 - Movie Night

Hello again,

...this morning we woke up late, thus breakfast was a satisfying albeit boring bagel and cream cheese with fruit smoothies and yogurt.

For lunch NoNo had some left over chicken and veg and I had buttered french bread with a side of left over pasta. You know you want some too.

...Since I told SuperBoy we would go to the movies tonight to watch the Green Hornet, I made dinner, beef stew, this morning so it could slowly simmer all day long and be ready when I picked him up. I served it over couscous and it was delicious!  Even SuperNanny, my discerning baby sister was raving about it.

Here's the recipe, which uses HBG measurements, so alter as you see fit:

- Stewing Beef ( I got my own from Meaty Meats, and I didn't take note of how much, but it was enough to feed four and have left overs)
-1-2 tbsp oil
- 3 small onions or 1 large, chopped
- 3 stalks celery with greens attached chopped
- 3 small carrots or 1 large, chopped
- one can diced or crushed tomatoes ( I think my own was 19 ounces)
-3 bay leaves ( use less if you prefer)
-3 sprigs fresh thyme.
-2 boulioun cubes
-3 large cloves of garlic chopped
- water
- Salt
-pepper
Optional - 1 tbsp Browning


1. Heat oil in big pot and then sear the meat. - You want to get some caramelizeation action and brown the meat at this point (and if you choose to use the browning, this is where I add it.)
2. add the diced onion, celery and carrots to the pot with the meat and cook on medium heat until the onions are translucent.
3. add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper
4. add entire can of tomatoes and stir till everything is well combined.
5. add boulion cubes and enough water to ensure that everything is covered.
6. bring to a quick boil and the n simmer for atleast two hour on low heat.

( I thicken it a bit with cornstarch, but adding potatoes would probably do the trick. As well for a nice fresh touch you can add fresh spinach to the bottom of the bowl before adding the stew.)

It's freezing here tonight (according to TWN it feels like -24) and this meal was the perfect warm end to the day. Enjoy.

D

No comments:

Post a Comment